Sunday, March 14, 2010

Social Media CAN HURT YOU!


Social media is great for promoting your music, your writing, but it can be extremely scary for someone who is trying to use it as a means of "connecting" with others. When I joined an email list a few years ago I became the subject of some very vicious gossip. There were women who supported me, but there were also a few who were so determined to out me as some sort of fraud, an insensitive human being, the scum of the earth. For some time I have tried to avoid people who are negative, unfortunately they have found me on Facebook.

I apologized to the list some time ago, as I am not perfect and I do make mistakes. Some were willing to accept my apology, others have continually beaten me down.

People who do love and care about me often want to know why I've been so fearful of letting people into my life. I think now they fully understand why I tend to be guarded.

I just recently returned from a trip only to find in my Facebook file a few notes from some folks who have advised me that there are some derrogatory comments about me being circulated through Facebook messaging. I hope that those of you who do know me will consider the source and those of you who don't know me I hope you will try to see through it all.

I am not a perfect person, I have made mistakes in my life, but I also try to make right when I commit a wrong. I'm being unjustly crucified and it's killing me inside.